Become a Guardian
To secure the future of The Argyll and Sutherland Regimental Museum
The Guardians are the supporters of The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Regimental Museum and membership is open to all, whether former Argylls or members of the public.
About the Museum
The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Regimental Museum is located in the historic King’s Old Building of Stirling Castle. The Regiment’s connection to the Castle dates back to 1794. To this day the Castle remains its spiritual home.
The Museum moved to its present spot in 1987. Between 2015-2021 it underwent a £4M redevelopment. The Argylls’ story has been reinterpreted to widen its appeal and a more comprehensive insight to life in one of Scotland’s great Highland regiments. Museums Galleries Scotland recognise the collection as ‘Nationally Significant’ and the Museum is accredited under the Arts Council England Accreditation Scheme.
Looking to the Future
The redevelopment of the Museum is only the first stage in ensuring that the story of one of Scotland’s great regiments remains a lasting tribute to those who served in the Regiment, and raises awareness of an important part of Scotland’s history. Its remit is to deliver:
* An extended education programme for young people both within the Museum and in schools;
* An outreach operation to support community activities in libraries and museums across the Regimental area;
* A lecture programme focussed on the exploits of the Regiment;
* A digitisation programme to enable the Museum to make its extensive archives more accessible for research;
* Support to the ongoing conservation measures to ensure that the unique collection of objects, artwork, silver and documents are protected for the future;
* Development of the Museum’s website to include the creation of a virtual tour of the Museum to help improve access;
It costs over £500 a day to deliver this programme and your contribution as a Guardian will remain central to the delivery of these programmes and continue to place the Museum on a sustainable footing for the future.
How do you benefit?
* Free admission to Stirling Castle to access the Museum by presenting a valid Guardians’ Membership Card
* Invitations to Guardians’ and Regimental events
* Invitations to historical lectures and talks on the Museum collection
* Opportunity to engage with other supporters of the Museum
Joining The Guardians
We welcome both Individual and Corporate membership to The Guardians. There are two ways of joining The Guardians:
* Ordinary Member, paying a minimum subscription of £5 per month, £15 quarterly, £30 half-yearly, or £60 per year by Direct Debit.
* Life Member, paying a minimum of £1,000. This payment may be made by BACS or cheque.
The more you feel able to give will allow the Museum to be in a stronger position to enhance its nationally significant collection, make continuing improvements to its displays and conservation, deliver its education and outreach programmes, and ensure its long-term sustainability.